April 6, 2017

making lemonade

My PawPaw is well known for loving lemon flavored anything. He's also famous for his dislike of chocolate, but he passed on the "lemon love" to his children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren.

A couple of months ago on his 85th birthday the dessert table was covered in lemon cake, lemon meringue pie, lemon cookies, and a gallon of sweetly tart iced lemonade sat to the side. One of his gifts was a yellow basket filled with more lemon snacks than I had ever seen. 

But although I could carry on about my PawPaw or my family or my favorite lemon treats for awhile, that's not really what's on my mind.

A package came into the mail today and I noticed the return address was from a long time family friend of ours. Whenever I think of this lady, I'm encouraged to be better. I always remember my mom describing her at a ladies' meeting several years ago as someone who'd been handed some lemons and was making lemonade.

I know we've all heard this saying, but I'll be honest and admit that the few tiny little lemons that have come my way haven't been made into lemonade right off the bat. I puckered up and sucked the bitterness for awhile, even though I much prefer a little sugar and water added.

The thing is, it's up to us to add the sweetness. To hold the lemons in our hands, whether we expected to receive them or not, and make a decision about what to do with them. God has given us the things we need to sweeten them up, and He's given us the free will to make that choice.

I know so many people who have made gallon after gallon of lemonade, I know people who are currently making a few batches. But there are also those who display their lemons and announce how terrible they are, holding onto them and protecting their bitter flavor. They carelessly squeeze out the juice, infecting others with the bitterness.

Everyone wants to be friends with the person offering free lemonade. It's a classic favorite! It just cannot be made authentically without a few sour lemons. 

I don't have any more metaphoric examples to give right off the top of my head, although I'm sure there are so many. This was just a thought I had on my mind today and I wanted to share it. 

The sun is supposed to come back out tomorrow so I think I'll make a batch of lemonade for my nephews and niece. I hope you each have a lovely weekend with just the right amount of sweetness!


one last chance to play with the moon sand




No comments:

Post a Comment